Ananda Rangapillai Museum
Opening Time : 10:00:00
Closing Time : 17:00:00
Phone : 91-413-2339497
Ananda Ranga Pillai was the celebrated dubash of Dupleix, the governor of Puducherry while it flourished under the French glory.
On Ananda Ranga Pillai’s death, his diaries came into the possession of his nephew Tiruvengadam Pillai who appears to have maintained a series of records of his own till the beginning of 1770. Subsequent generations of the family had discarded it until the manuscript was recovered in a decrepit state by Gallois Montburn, the Mayor of Pondicherry in 1846 and a scholar of Oriental languages; he immediately set upon translating the manuscript to French. However, when the translated manuscript was being edited a number of gaps were discovered. The gaps were supplemented when volumes one and two of Ananda Ranga Pillai’s diary were found. These were subsequently translated into French in 1870 and 1889.
In 1894, Julien Vinson, Professor of the Special School of Livino-Oriental Languages at Paris who had published the second translation (which was, obviously, incomplete) published a supposed full translation of Ananda Ranga Pillai’s diaries titled “Les Français dans l’Inde”, In 1892, the existence of the diary was brought to the notice of Lieutenant General H. Macleod, the British Consular Agent in Pondicherry. At the direction of Lord Wenlock, the then Governor of Madras, an English translation of the diary from Montbrun’s copy was attempted. This was completed in 1896.
Pillai’s compilation of diaries serves as a storehouse of information on the 18th century French India.
His mansion, completed sometime in 1738, is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the west side – then known as “natives’ quarters”.
Its architecture represents a curious mix of French and Indian styles.
For further information:
Department of Art and Culture
1, Romain Rolland Street, Puducherry 605001
Phone: 0413 – 2336203 / 2349716
Ananda Rangapillai Street